Friday, June 27, 2008

My Consumption of Broadcast Media

I will have to admit that lately I have not been keeping tabs on the current events in terms of television or music. However, with the introduction of new technology and the crusade to reform the internet, it has changed the way I consume media. Now more than ever content is easily accessible to computer users. Furthermore with the invention of the iPod, mp3 players, TiVO, and broadband it has changed the way I watch television, movies, and/or listen to music.

Before, when I wanted to watch a specific program or movie that was going to be aired on television. I had to rearrange my schedule to make sure that I was not going to miss it. All that has changed with the invention of the DVR, TiVO, and Comcast's OnDemand. Now, I can watch T.V. on my own terms. To make things even more convenient, websites like Hulu and other similar sites, allow for users to stream full episodes or movies.

I still have not caught on to streaming because I do not like the loss of quality and the amount of bandwidth that is used to watch these shows. I have tried a few times but only to be interrupted because the video was "buffering". That really hindered my experience. On top of that, I do not like to be sitting in front of my computer for an extended amount of time. Yet, I am not totally opposed because it is convenient and quick way to kill time on a laptop.

In terms of music and radio, the iPod has basically removed me from listening to the radio. Usually I will buy music from iTunes or scour through specific message boards to find a specific album to download. For that reason, the FM frequency is of no use to me. Even then, I have a disdain for the local FM stations. The significant ones are owned by Clear Channel Communications. So most of them present the similar regurgitated style of mainstream music.

However, the AM side of radio is still significant. Mainly because the local sports teams that I follow are all broadcasted on the same local radio show, KNBR 680 am. I also enjoy listening to the station when I am commuting to school or work. I love the radio station but the truth is that I can't sit down and listen to it 24/7. Due to that reason, there are times when I miss live interviews. Yet, like many syndicated shows, the radio station offers podcasts to all their interviews. This is convenient because I can download them and then upload them to my iPod. I can listen to portions of the radio show at my convenience.

Ultimately, I still will for the most part go to a theater, listen to the radio, and watch T.V. (when I can) in the traditional manner. However, with the internet and new technology, I can do the majority of these things on my own terms. There is no pressure in missing an episode or an event on television or radio because chances are that I will be able to access it later. The drawback to such convenience is that it will come at a price. But I am willing to pay for that price. I am more concerned that in the future only a few corporations will control these types of accommodations in broadcasting.

2 comments:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Are there any TV shows that you still make a point of watching when they air the traditional way?

Wil Ramirez said...

Honestly, I don't watch as much T.V. as before. I am clueless of the shows that are on today. If I watch something in the traditional manner it is usually a televised sports game.